Please be advised this program is NOT intended for brand new runners, nor for anyone 18 years of age or younger. Rather the Next Step is to take your running to the Next Level. As such, there are certain minimum essentials required to be successful :
- Minimum Base Mileage.
- Currently running at least 20-25 miles per/wk (base mileage) if targeting a FULL marathon, including a long run of AT LEAST 10 miles at start of program.
- Currently running at least 10-15 miles per/wk (base mileage) if targeting a Half marathon
- Minimum Pace: You need to be able to maintain a pace of 13 minutes or faster pace of constant running. Runners who are unable to maintain this pace on the time trial, may be asked to switch programs to one of a shorter distance. We will not be including a walk/run or Galloway style training option for this program.
- Time Trial: We will conduct a 5 mile time trial for all participants on the first day of the program (June 27th) to assess current fitness level and to group participants appropriately for optimal training and success
Based on your fitness level and goals and objectives, you can follow one of the Training Plans that will best suit you :
- The BUILDER Training plan
Aimed at those currently running 10-15 miles (half) 20-25 (full) a week and are ready to take the NEXT STEP and attempt their first half or full marathon in the Fall.
- The PR Plan
Best suited for runners who have completed the distance once or twice before, and are ready to take the NEXT STEP to improve strength, endurance and speed … and set a personal best or PR !
- The HIGH MILEAGE Plan
Most beneficial for experienced runners with multiple marathon finishes in the bag, and are ready to take the NEXT STEP to improve on all aspects of training, especially higher mileage averaging 60-70 miles per week.
If you fall into any of the above categories and are determined to put the time into working hard, we want to help you reach your goals!
Please Note – you are required to be a current member of the Howard County Striders road runners club (RRCA). If you are not yet a member, please register here – http://www.striders.net/membership/ – and Welcome to the Striders !!
DURATION : The Next Step Half/Full Marathon program runs about 16 weeks from June 27th (time trial) through October 24th. Please note! There will be no training on Tuesday, July 4th! The first training run will be July 11th.
DATE, TIME, LOCATION: Groups will meet Tuesday evenings at Centennial High School in Ellicott City, MD at 6:30 p.m. The first session starts on June 27th and will include program orientation and a 5 mile time trial. Training start time will switch to 6pm when it begins to get dark earlier.
COST: Early registration (May 22 – May 28th) : $90. From May 29th – June 27th : $100 or until sold out at 100 participants (and this program WILL SELL OUT, so Don’t Delay !! There will be no refunds or waiting lists)
Click to Register Now!
So what are you waiting for? This is where your “next step” endurance training begins!!
(Registration opens May 22nd)
- Your Next Step coordinators, Bill Brown, Ryan Brown, and Rachel Collins ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Special Programs coordinator, Jess (email@example.com)